Lately the world around me has all these messages blaring… messages about how men suck, messages about how women aren’t given enough credit, about how the world is a disaster, about bad things happening everywhere. It is damn near impossible to look at any form of media and feel good about anything. We might have to live within the parameters of this world, but we can choose to create our own world within the sphere of influence around us.
The world I want (no, scratch want – CHOOSE is the right word) to create is one that includes the following:
- Acknowledgement that there are way more good men than crappy ones on this planet. A celebration of the good ones, the ones who quietly provide for the people they love and do the right thing time and again. They might mess up sometimes, but we all do, because we are all human. Dude, you keep going day in and day out… that’s worth feeling good about.
- Acknowledgement that there are plenty of women who are amazing and juggle work, kids, etc… who often feel overwhelmed trying to balance everything they feel they are supposed to handle with ease. Life isn’t easy baby, even without all of this chaos. Once again, we are all human, it is okay to drop the balancing act and it doesn’t mean you are not doing a good job.
- A world where we express appreciation freely. Where we stop looking at the bad around us and look for the good. There is so much that is good. The bad can be found too, but why focus on it? Focusing on the good creates more good energy and I think we can all use more of that jobby!
- A world where a tender heart is celebrated. Where more emphasis is placed on who we are and not what we do or how we look (clarification, I will always be an advocate of a healthy body – because shouldn’t we all want to be healthy?).
- Time in nature. Breathing in the air outside and soaking in the sunshine. Grounded with the earth below us. Turning off the chaos to become enthralled with the simple beauty of a bees, butterflies, and the intricacies of trees and plants. Have you taken time lately to just look closely at the bark on the tree or the lines in leaves? They are a masterpiece to get lost in.
- LOVE. Of life, of the people who matter most to us. Love and celebration of our differences that make us unique.
- Less time in front of a screen and more quality time.
- Hugs. More Hugs!
- More songs, less talking heads.
Y’all, life is actually pretty damn good and I challenge myself and everyone around me to continue to find ways to make it better. We might not be able to change the planet, but by golly we can change our little sphere of influence. Create the life you want, not the life someone else wants.