I keep starting this post and then deleting it. There are words rocketing around in my brain and I desperately want to share them, but they refuse to become cohesive sentences. This past weekend I dug in and had some internal conversation regarding things just swirling in my soul. These were good things and it was all the more reason I wanted to take time to reflect on them. Sometimes we just need to be still with our thoughts away from all the noise and congestion of daily life. In the past I found this so beneficial for the thoughts we don’t enjoy, but recently I am finding it to be important with the good things too.
When we stop to just absorb the good happening in our life and appreciate it then it tends to grow. For me, the focus on the good in my life creates a joy and warmth that does not diminish even when the fast-paced parts of life try to crowd in. I think of this as similar to taking care of my body. The more that I focus on eating healthy, being active, and caring for my body the better the health of my body. To apply this to our lives beyond just our physical body means making a conscious decision to care for and give the attention to the good in our lives. Especially in a culture where there seems to be much focus on what is going wrong in life. The misfit in me rebels against this need to give the bad so much attention. Why not walk outside the crowd and focus on the people and experiences that bring us joy? The bad will still happen and we have to deal with it… we just don’t need to give it so much attention.
And so this post leads to one of my random lists. Another little list of things that bring me joy and peace.
- My adorable Mellie. Absolute love and happiness in one little spotted dog!
- The amazing man the universe sent into my life! There are so many things I could add to this, but I won’t because it is all the sweeter to keep these to myself.
- My stupidly adorable cats.
- Creativity. Hands covered in paint soothe me and give me energy.
- Being able to truly see the beauty around us.
- Reading. It can help create escape and growth in our lives.
- Hours spent in nature, rejuvenating my soul.
Plant your garden of the good in your life. Tend to it, water it, love it, and watch it grow and blossom into something beautiful.